Frequently Asked Questions

What is the English Language Proficiency Requirement?

All students should fulfill the English Language Proficiency Requirement prescribed below before they are admitted:

  • Possess a pass grade in English in one of the following examinations:
    • Hong Kong Advanced Level Exam (including AS Level);
    • Hong Kong Higher Level Exam; 
    • CUHK Matriculation Exam; 
    • General Certificate of Educational Exam (GCE) Advanced Level (A-Level)/ Advanced-Subsidiary Level (AS-Level); or
  • Achieve Level 4 or above in the English Language subject of the Hong Kong Diploma of Secondary Education (HKDSE) Examination; or
  • Have a degree from a university in Hong Kong or an English-speaking country; or
  • Achieve scores in the following tests (please submit the original score reports/certificates for assessment by the programmes concerned):
    • TOEFL* (Paper-based: 550/ Internet-based: 79)
    • IELTS* (Academic) (Band 6.5); 
    • GMAT* (Verbal: Band 21)
  • Have a recognized professional qualification awarded in Hong Kong or an English-speaking country.
    *TOEFL and IELTS are considered valid for two years from the test date. GMAT is considered valid for five years from the test date.

Is there any written test?


Is there any selection interview?

Interview may be arranged for short-listed applicants, who will be informed individually.

When will the admission results be announced? Will each individual applicant be informed of the result in mail, e-mail or phone call?

Applicants can login the "Online System for Applications for Admission to Postgraduate Programmes" to check their application results from time to time. Admitted applicants will be notified of the update of application status by Graduate School as soon as the selection process is completed. However, there may be several rounds of selection, the process may span over several months.

Is there any scholarship? How do I apply?

Entrance scholarship will be offered to qualified students on a competitive basis. No application is required. The awarded students will be notified individually.

May the deposit be refunded to me or transferred to another applicant?

According to University Policy, deposit is normally non-refundable and non-transferable, except some extraordinary occasions approved by the Graduate School.

If you still wish to apply for refund, please submit your application in formal letter, with all the supporting documents, within one week after asking or at least two weeks before the end of August, which comes earlier. The University will decide upon receiving your application.